An Audible Promised Land

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Wait ‘til they see me blog about kid books



There was a lot of good floating around that conference. New friends, old friends, non-alcoholic beer (wink, wink), great agents and editors, all so approachable. Thank you.

I'm still hoarse from laughing.There was more than just the fun. There was real business going on.

I don't know if it was my energy or if I was "ready" or something, but the agents and editors at SCBWI LA GLAMFEST were different this time.

They were not only gracious and accessible this year, but a hint of something else flashed in their eyes. In everyone's eyes. Every single person at this conference on both sides of the desk seemed hungry.

Like we were going to take over the world with good kid books!

We're in the catbird seat here, people. Children's/YA market share is increasing and that's good. The quality of submissions (our competition) is getting better and better, which only makes for better books.

Write on.

14 comments:

Christy Raedeke said...

Hey Paul! I'm sorry I never got to say goodbye to you. It was great to see you and catch your infectious optimism.

Until next year, my friend! Christy

Corey Schwartz said...

What a nice upbeat post :)

Tyler said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. It was an outstanding weekend.

Jay Asher said...

Great seeing you again, Paul. And I can't wait to read your manuscript!

Kimberly Derting said...

Taking the world by storm, one kid at a time!

So much fun meeting you, Paul. Seriously, I know what you mean about being hoarse from laughing ;)

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

my throat still hurts from sunday night - ha! (not such a funny comment unless you read it as sarah francis :)

The Bill Cochran said...

Thank you Paul for everything. I am still exhausted... but also because I can't sleep cuz I'm staying up nights thinking about my revision... in a good way.

KEYNOTE!

Amy-Baskin.blogspot.com said...

Wow. I just felt the wind in my sails again. You just wrote a keynote. Great to meet you, Paul!

Rita said...

I like Tyler's comment, because in the photo it looks like you share one brain. Or at least very direct communication. :D Maybe the flash you saw in everyone's eyes was a reflection of your own happy energy. Write on!

Katie Anderson said...

I can no longer hear KEYNOTE without bursting into tears that I missed this epic night. I have heard it re-enacted with full voice by Shelli, so I am trying to be content, but Bill - Please! Cease making me sad, okay?!

Paulie, it was good times as usual. make that GREAT! Keep me posted on all of your projects :)

Jennie Englund said...

It looks like you had a TON of fun. I mean, like you worked really hard.

Hardygirl said...

KEYNOTE!

Great post--couldn't agree more, Paul. I'm not sure why, but John just didn't get the humor . . . need Bill there as the prospector.

sf

Lisa Schroeder said...

It's so great when you walk away from a conference and feel like it was fun AND helpful. I go mostly for the fun. The other part is always a bonus.

It was great meeting you and best of luck with your writing!!

StaffPicks said...

This conference was real.

An Audible Promised Land