An Audible Promised Land

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Fast Friends


I feel very rich in friends.

For me, we are always making new friends. Continually. I think it's the only way to feel rich is to be rich in friends.

When you meet someone new, you know pretty quickly. You know what I mean? You thin-slice.

I think I make friends pretty easily.

My newest bestest friend I've spent a total of maybe eight hours with him. Total face time, that is.
I met Sarah Frances' husband, John, the other day for the first time and he reminded me how easy it is to make friends with someone brand new to you.

Don't get me wrong here. This former mock-fugative is not without issue, either. John has faux-alQaida ties. He's known to chase bears with brooms. And he has trouble finding good fishing spots. But he has an open door and cold beer behind it.

That's my new criteria for friendship. Open door. Cold beer.

What's your criteria? Do you make friends quicker than others? And for the writery question of the day: Do boys make friends more easily (quicker and not necessarily deeper) than girls?
(photo credit: my oldest bestest friend)

4 comments:

Katie Anderson said...

Awww - so cute! And finally you have a photo posted! Who took this gem? A bear?

Can't wait to catch up in LA. And can't wait for SF to come HOME! It's been toooo long.

Jennie Englund said...

Really good questions, Paul.

Hmmm... I've been told I have too many friends. But. I don't consider everyone I know my friend. In fact, I'd say I have maybe four friends. Good friends. Kind. Who put forth great effort at what they do.

You are going to LA, right? No doubt, you'll come home with a zillion more peeps.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the time we spent together and look forward to our next gathering. BTW, I did finally catch some nice fish-downtown with the girls-makes me wander about my choice of fishing friends? None of that driving around spending precious time looking for the glory days/holes.

SF has met really interesting people at the writing conferences. I feel fortunate to have met a few.

I don't know about the boy girl thing although common interests surely grease the skids that allow friendships to develop. It was great spending time with you and Katherine. Thanks for inviting yourselves over!

John Hardy

Christy Raedeke said...

I love this post. Rich in friends is the only way to be!

Looking forward to rolling in the richness in LA in a couple of weeks...

An Audible Promised Land