An Audible Promised Land

Friday, February 20, 2009

Some Funny Books

Here's a list of funny books by Abebooks, which isn't a very funny name, sounds a bit drab in fact, but the folks over at Abe's in England came up with this (mostly British) list.

1. Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse (1933)
2. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (1961
3. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (1979)
4. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome (1889)
5. Wilt by Tom Sharpe (1976)
6. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (1980)
7. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
8. The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse (1938)
9. Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding (1996)
10. Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall by Spike Milligan (1971)

My favorite is Confederacy. Maybe it’s my Southernness or Luzyananess; but that damn book is so funny I think I coughed up a pancreas, or two. Now that’s funny.

So I was thinking to my self, Self? You ought to jot down a list of funny kid books. So I did and here's today list of ten. Feel free to add yours in the comments...

1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
2. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
3. Big Bad Bruce by Bill Peet
4. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
5. Katy No-Pocket by Emma Payne (HA Rey)
6. La pêche au Ballon by Richard Scarry
7. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
8. Dear Dumb Diary by Jaime Kelly
9. Ramona Quimby by Beverly Cleary
10. Fourth Grade Rats by Jerry Spinelli
11. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein

8 comments:

Tyler said...

I've been curious about those Wimpy kid books, so they're pretty good, eh?

I get a good laugh out of Lemony's Snickets book, I'm reading the fifth one right now.

And they're not kids' books, but anything by Bill Bryson always has me rolling. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of at the mo'.

Christy Raedeke said...

Diary of a Worm is my current favorite funny kids book. I also love anything in the Skippy John Jones series.

I've got to hit this funny adult book list. I've only read a couple of them and several have been on my must read list for years...

I could use a little funny.

Corey Schwartz said...

If it made you cough up a pancreas, I think I'll give it a try.

brendan said...

Wodehouse is a riot. I read all the Jeeves series one summer and laughed the whole time. I totally agree with him being at the top of the list. If Jeeves and Bertie Wooster can't make you laugh then nothing can.

Corey Schwartz said...

Okay, that's it. I am ordering the Jeeves book right now.

Hardygirl said...

Confederacy of Dunces is the greatest.

I think the book that Tyler read to all of us on the patio of the hotel at the L.A. SCBWI Conference is hands-down the funniest children's book ever. I don't think it was actually intended to be funny, however, so I won't post the name . . . .

Tyler said...

HAHA SF! (And no, my CAPS LOCK wasn't on) Yes, that book was the ultimate in comedy.

StaffPicks said...

Okay. I just downloaded the audio version of Jeeves (couldn't get the useyoureyes version). Thanks to Brendan. The book Tyler read is: Rough, Tough Charley, by Verla Kay. And maybe it's only funny because the way Tyler read it:) But I'll still laugh....

An Audible Promised Land